I have over 25 years of experience in successful project management and process improvement in the areas of strategic planning, policy development and training. I also have more than a decade of experience in education and whole child advocacy, including broad-based community organizing and legislative affairs at the local, state and national levels. That’s direct educational experience my opponent simply can’t match.
I became a child advocate when my own children entered public school in 1999. My children had health and learning challenges. While guiding them through the educational system, I quickly discovered that I could use my voice for all children. Quality public education is foundational for social justice in our communities because education is the key to equity. I have worked to improve the lives of children in our state with the following organizations:
- Sound Alliance, 2008-2010
- Founding member, Co-chair, Education Action Team and Leadership Trainer
- Northshore Schools Foundation, 2009-2017
- Served as President, Vice President, Secretary, and Trustee
- Citizens for Northshore Schools Levy and Bond elections, 2009-present
- Washington State Parent Teacher Association (PTA)
- Federal Legislative Chair, 2013-present
- Legislative Director, 2013-2015
- Region Legislative Chair, 2009-2010
- Northshore Council Legislative Vice President, 2007-2009
- Local Legislative Chair at Arrowhead Elementary, Kenmore Junior High, and Inglemoor High School
- Office of the Superintendent of Public Instruction
- Special Education Advisory Council Member, 2013-present, elected to executive committee in May 2017
- Social Emotional Learning Advisory Committee, December 2016 – present
- Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) Consolidated Plan team member, January – October 2016
- ESSA Assessments work group team member, 2016
- Social Emotional Learning Benchmarks work group, January – October 2016
- K-12 Computer Science Learning Standards bias and sensitivity review, December 2016
I’ve been honored to work with many coalitions to improve the lives of children in our state. I have served as a Boy Scout leader and an elected Precinct Committee Officer.
Improving and enhancing public education is my focus. I would like to continue that work as your next school board director.